Registering to Vote
Who is eligible to register to vote in Virginia?
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age by the next general election
- A resident of Virginia
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
Completing your Application:
When you complete your Virginia Voter Registration Application:
- Complete all information blocks. If any information requested does not apply to you, indicate such by writing "NA" in that block.
- Sign and date the application.
- Submit your application in advance of any registration deadlines.
To submit your application you can mail it or drop it off at our office, during normal office hours:
Orange County Office of Voter Registration and Elections
146 Madison Road, Suite 204
Orange, Virginia 22960
You can register to vote any time of the year, however, to be eligible to vote in the next election, registration must be completed 22 days prior to that election. See our Important Dates page for upcoming deadline information.
Updating your Voter Registration Information
What If I Have Moved or Changed My Name?
To remain a qualified registered voter, the law requires you to notify your local registration office of any change in your name or address. You may change your information (name and/or address):
- In person at our office or at your local DMV office
- Virginia Voter Registration Application
- Online at the Citizen Portal
NOTE: If mailed, Voter Registration Applications or changes of address/name must be postmarked no later than the deadline specified for each election.
How do I register online?
You can register to vote online or update your Voter Record by accessing the Citizen Portal via the Virginia Department of Elections.