The County of Orange is mandated by the state of Virginia to develop a recycling program to meet or exceed 15% of its municipal solid waste generation. To achieve this mandate, the county provides single stream recycling boxes at five sites across the County. The locations of these sites can be found below.
The County of Orange appreciates the efforts of those who choose to recycle. In order to maintain a successful and efficient recycling program, we ask that citizens review the lists of recyclable and non-recyclable items to prevent contamination.
Orange County provides single stream recycling containers at the following sites:
- Lake of the Woods Collection Site: 100 Shoosmith Road, Locust Grove, VA 22508
- Locust Grove Collection Site: 7240 Gold Dale Road, Locust Grove, VA 22508
- Porter Road Collection Site: 11530 Porter Road, Orange, VA 22960
- Barboursville Collection Site: 4328 Spotswood Trail, Barboursville, VA 22923
- Route 15 Recycling Site: 12435 James Madison Highway, Orange, VA 22960
- Empty food Cans
- Aluminum Foil
- Paper Goods (including magazines, newspaper, envelopes, office paper, paper grocery bags, paperback books)
- Flattened Cardboard (including cereal boxes, soda boxes, milk/juice cartons, egg cartons)
- Glass Bottles
- Plastics numbered 1-7 (no lids, must have one of the symbols listed here)
- Plastic Bags
- Plastic Caps/Lids
- Plastic items not labeled 1-7
- Containers Larger than 1.5 gallons regardless of recycling symbol
- Organic Waste (food, compost, yard debris, dead animals)
- Scrap Metal
- Household Trash
- Hazardous Waste
Scrap Metal Recycling
Citizens may bring scrap metal to the Landfill to be recycled. The Landfill does not pay citizens for scrap metal.