Garvis Huff Award
The Orange County Office on Youth and Youth Commission recognizes individuals who have gone above and beyond for the improvement of their community for our youth in a ceremony each year. This ceremony is now called the Garvis Huff Outstanding Youth and Youth Advocate Awards ceremony. Named after Garvis Huff, a charter member of the Orange County Youth Commission and very active youth supporter, the awards ceremony symbolizes the Youth Commission’s commitment to our youth and the encouragement of citizen involvement with our youth at the community level.
Each person recognized during the awards ceremony receives a certificate of recognition. An award for Outstanding Youth is presented to generally one (1) student in grades 6-8 and one (1) student in grades 9-12. An award is also presented to the Outstanding Youth Advocate who has demonstrated commitment and dedication to improving the quality of life for Orange County youth. *In the event there is a tie in any group, the individuals who are tied will both receive an award.
Criteria for Youth Nomination:
- Must be in grades 6-12 and must be nominated by a non-relative.
- One (1) student will be chosen from 6th - 8th grade and one (1) from 9th – 12th grade
- Must demonstrate a commitment to public service and making their school and/or community a better place to live.
- Must demonstrate leadership in school and in the community.
- Must be a resident of Orange County during the time of their community involvement.
**2020-2021 Youth Nomination Form:
- Available late 2020
Criteria for Youth Advocate (Adult) Nominations:
- Must be 19 years old or older and must be nominated by a non-relative.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to public service and to making their community a better place for youth.
- Must demonstrate leadership in the community.
- Must reside or work in Orange County during the time of their community involvement.
- Youth Commission members and their immediate family members may be nominated but are ineligible to win.
**2020-2021 Youth Advocate (Adult) Nomination Form:
- Available late 2020
Orange County Youth Council and immediate family of the Youth Commission may be nominated but are ineligible to win.