- Public Works & Airport
- Public Works
- Litter Control
Litter Control Initiatives
Litter Control initiatives in Orange County are managed by the Litter Control Committee on behalf of the Department of Public Works. The Litter Control Committee is funded through a non-competitive grant from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
Next Litter Control Committee Meeting - May 4, 2023, 10:00 a.m.
Upcoming Programs & Events:
Orange County Tire Amnesty Event
Voucher Distribution: Monday, February 13 - Friday, February 17, 2023
Tire Disposal Window: Monday, February 20 - Saturday, April 1, 2023
The Orange County Landfill and Orange County Litter Control Committee are preparing to distribute free vouchers for the Tire Amnesty Recycling event. This is an opportunity for Orange County residents to responsibly discard unwanted tires without paying the normal tipping fee of $2.50 per tire. A limited number of vouchers will be available at the Orange County Administration Office, located at 112 W. Main Street, Orange, VA 22960. Orange County residents and property owners may visit the office during business hours Monday, February 13 through Friday, February 17, to obtain up to two (2) vouchers per household. Call (540) 661-5405 to confirm availability. Restrictions include:
- The event is open ONLY to Orange County residents and property owners, not businesses. Attendees must present a driver’s license and/or other documentation to properly verify residency when picking up vouchers.
- Each voucher will allow for the disposal of up to four (4) tires.
- Each household is limited to two (2) vouchers (maximum of eight (8) tires).
- All participants must sign an agreement outlining tire criteria and event conditions.
- The individual picking up the voucher MUST be the same person to drop off tires.
- Vouchers are non-replaceable and non-transferable.
- A voucher must be presented to Orange County Landfill staff upon tire drop-off.
- Accepted items include personal vehicle tires of the sizes commonly used for passenger cars or pickup trucks. Commercial or agricultural tires are prohibited.
Ink Cartridge Recycling Program
Visit the Gordon Building (main County Administration office; 112 West Main Street, Orange) to recycle the consumables from your printer/copier. Look for the cardboard recycling box next to the water fountain, across from the Treasurer's Office window. Any printing and imaging supply that can be replaced by the consumer may be dropped off in this bin, including: fusers, drums, toner bottles, toner cartridges (laser, inkjet, fax, etc.), and waste toner collectors. Remove any packaging from the supplies before placing them in the box. This free program is made possible in partnership with Konica Minolta.
Request a Road Cleanup Form
Please use this form to indicate that a road is in need of cleanup. This will help us get a clearer picture of problem areas and better allocate resources. Please be aware that resources are limited, and while we will attempt to address all submissions; submission of this form does not guarantee a cleanup.
Litter Response Team Volunteer Interest Form
As we are working to allocate resources to address littered roads, we often need additional support. To that end, we are working on the creation of a volunteer group known as the Litter Response Team. This group of volunteers would be contacted if additional support was needed to clean up a road or for recycling events. If you would like to be a part of this group, please complete the above form.