Social Distancing Activity Guide
Since we have had to cancel our spring 2020 programs but are still committed to keeping you engaged and active, we have put together some activities that you can try at home with your family while practicing social distancing as recommended by local, state, and federal health agencies. This page will be updated regularly with activities sorted by episodes (activity videos posted to Facebook) and handouts (printable activity sheets for your family to enjoy). Please stay safe and well for the duration of the pandemic.
While listed below for reference, our activity videos are housed on our Facebook page. Please view them there under the "Videos" tab. For convenience, they are sorted into a playlist, called: "Social Distancing Activity Guide."
- Episode 1 (3/23/20) - Paper Airplane Folding: Staff from OCPR and the Office on Youth show you how to fold some of their favorite paper airplane designs. Watch until the end for a special design from the Parks & Recreation Director.
- Episode 1.2 (3/24/20) - Paper Airplane Competition: Using the designs from Episode 1, we show you how to have a fun competition in your household.
- Episode 2 (3/25/20) - Binsketball: Staff show you how to play a game that’s easily set up at home or almost anywhere else using everyday items.
- Episode 3 (3/27/20) - Paper Games: Staff demonstrate paper games easily made and played at home. Spoiler alert, it’s not tic-tac-toe.
- Episode 4 (3/30/20) - Duct Tape Bows: Staff get crafty and demonstrate making duct tape bows and bow ties!
- Episode 4.1 (4/1/20) - Storytime: Story time with our staff takes a "foolish" turn.
- Episode 5 (4/3/20) - Hopscotch: Staff demonstrate the good clean fun to be had in a game of hopscotch, either indoors or outdoors.
- Episode 6 (4/6/20) - Dandelion Syrup: See how to turn these misunderstood plants into a delicious syrup or honey substitute.
- Episode 7 (4/9/20) - Basic Knot Tying: Staff demonstrate 5 basic knots that everyone should know.
- Episode 8 (4/13/20) - Catch Cup Game: Learn how to make an easy and classic game out of household items. Due to the use of small parts and string, this toy/game isn’t suitable for very small children.
- Episode 9 (4/15/20) - Papier Mache Bowls: Staff demonstrate how to make decorative papier mache bowls.
- Episode 10 (4/21/20) - Disc Golf: Staff introduce disc golf at our course and demonstrate how to play a casual round while social distancing.
- Episode 11 (4/23/20) - Candy Catapult: We make a simple catapult in this STEM-related craft, then use it to defend our candy from dinosaurs.
- Episode 12 (5/1/20) - Decorative Rope Work and Ring Toss: We make some rope ring toss rings, while demonstrating two rope-work techniques with many applications: grommet-making and wrapping a common whipping.
- Episode 13 (5/4/20) - Basketball Drills: In this episode, our basketball clinics instructor demonstrates three ball-handling drills you can do at home with just a basketball and a chair.
- Episode 14 (5/8/20) - String Tricks: In this episode, staff demonstrate how to do four string tricks using only your hands and a piece of string! Covered tricks include Cup & Saucer, Eiffel Tower, Cat’s Whiskers, and Jacob’s Ladder.
- Episode 15 (5/13/20) - Home Sundials: In this episode, staff demonstrate how to make and use a sundial at home using our Home Sundial Activity Handout (available below).
- Episode 16 (5/20/20) - Camp Tripods: This episode demonstrates how to make a tripod out of sticks for camping, gardening, or fun. Along the way, learn how to tie a clove hitch, a tripod lashing, and a square lashing.
- Episode 17 (5/23/20) - Ice Cream in a Bag: Get a jump start on summer fun making your own ice cream in a bag with your family!
- Episode 18 (6/3/20) - Home Instruments: Use household items to make musical spoons, a soup can drum, and a simple shaker!
- Indoor Scavenger Hunt Handout
- Backyard Scavenger Hunt Handout
- Dots & Boxes Game Handout (watch Episode 3 for instructions)
- Paper Naval Warfare Game Handout (watch Episode 3 for instructions)
- Coloring and Activity Handout
- Review Crossword Handout
- Spring Word Games Handout
- Wildlife in Virginia Trivia and Wordsearch Handout
- Mother’s Day Handprint and Thumbprint Craft Handout (For examples: use this link. All five handouts are in one document, choose a page in printer settings to print only one. For proper sizing use printer settings to print the page "actual size" or "fit to paper.")
- Home Sundial Activity Handout (watch Episode 15 for instructions)
- Summer Word Games Handout