Orange County, VA – Hurricane season began June 1, 2021. Hurricanes, like all major storms, have the potential to cause power outages, property damage, and dangerous travel conditions. Orange County is urging our community to consider preparing for the summer storm season. There are many ways you can prepare:
- Create an emergency kit with flashlights, batteries, cleaning supplies, and face coverings.
- Prepare a first-aid kit with bandages, anti-bacterial wipes, over-the-counter medications, and prescription medications.
- Carry your healthcare information with you and to prepare your medical devices, especially if you are disabled or elderly.
- Prepare a three-day supply of water and non-perishable food.
- Charge your phone and other electronic devices fully before the storm arrives.
- Connect your generator properly by following the manufacturer's instructions and operating outdoors with good ventilation.
- Beware of downed power lines. Assume they are energized and dangerous. Stay at least thirty feet away and call Dominion Energy or Rappahannock Electric Cooperative immediately.
- Dominion Energy: 1-866-366-4357
- Rappahannock Electric Cooperative: 1-800-552-3904
- Central Virginia Electric Cooperative: 1-800-367-2832
- Consider developing a family evacuation plan. Evacuation plan information can be found at http://hurricanes.gov/prepare.
- For more information on hurricane preparedness, please visit the following websites: