What is required to obtain a Zoning Permit?
A completed and signed Zoning Permit Application is required. Additionally, applicants must provide an administrative site plan (i.e. a "sketch plan") on a current plat or survey which shows the following:
- property lines and their courses and measurements;
- the tax parcel number, acreage of the lot, scale, and north arrow;
- the location, dimensions, height, and proposed setbacks from property lines and from bodies of water for all existing and proposed buildings and structures on the lot;
- existing and proposed driveways, travelways, and parking areas;
- the location of streams and other bodies of water on the lot;
- modifications to existing drainageways;
- installation or modification of a stormwater best management practice (BMP);
- compliance with any proffers, variances, and/or county-imposed conditions; and
- all public and private rights-of-way (including easements), their name(s), and the width of said rights-of-way.

These sketch plan requirements apply to single-family residential projects, duplexes, manufactured homes, signs, temporary uses, certain agricultural uses, and certain small-scale nonresidential/commercial uses. Sketch plans may be hand-drawn unless the property is zoned R--3 or R-4 or if the project involves a nonconforming structure. Sketch plans in these instances must be prepared by a professional.

If the project involves the installation of a new access onto a state-maintained road, VDOT approval must be supplied prior to or in conjunction with the Zoning Permit Application.

Other uses, particularly nonresidential/commercial uses involving 2,500 sq. ft. of land disturbance or more must submit site plans (either minor or major) prepared by a professional. These site plans must be approved by the county before the Zoning Permit Application can be submitted.

Individuals applying for a Zoning Permit who are not shown as the owner of record on county real estate records must provide proof of ownership (in the event of a recent land transfer) or permission in writing from the landowner in order to obtain the Zoning Permit.

The following related forms are available online:
- Authorized Agent Affidavit
- Application for Zoning Permit

Show All Answers

1. How do I find the zoning classification for a piece of property?
2. I would like to subdivide my land. What is the process?
3. Can I operate a business out of my house?
4. What do I need to build a home in Orange County?
5. What is required to obtain a Zoning Permit?
6. When is an Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control needed?
7. What is required to obtain an Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan?
8. When is approval of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and issuance of a Land Disturbance Permit required?
9. Are any land disturbance activities exempt from permitting and bonding requirements?
10. How much land is required to build a house in Orange County?
11. How many dwellings are allowed on one piece of property?
12. Do I need a permit for a shed or storage building?
13. Where are manufactured homes allowed?
14. What is my tax parcel number?