Can I operate a business out of my house?

Yes. Depending on the size of the property and the zoning district in which your property/house is located, you may be eligible for either a home enterprise or a home occupation. Home enterprises are more intensive, so they are only allowed on properties zoned Agricultural (A) and that are at least 2 acres in size. Home occupations are less intensive and permitted for residentially-zoned properties and those that are zoned Agricultural but are under 2 acres in size. Home enterprises may be conducted in the home and/or in an accessory structure (e.g. a garage or shed), and may utilize the land around these structures for the business. Home occupations must be conducted within the home only. It is advised that business owners review the home occupation and home enterprise forms, which can be found under the Planning & Zoning Services "Permit Applications, Forms, & Guides" page on the County's website. If there are additional questions, the owner should contact the department directly. Orange County does not have a business license program.  Additional permits may be needed for signs, new construction, or other types of new development.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find the zoning classification for a piece of property?
2. I would like to subdivide my land. What is the process?
3. Can I operate a business out of my house?
4. What do I need to build a home in Orange County?
5. When is an Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control needed?
6. What is required to obtain an Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan?
7. When is approval of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and issuance of a Land Disturbance Permit required?
8. Are any land disturbance activities exempt from permitting and bonding requirements?
9. How much land is required to build a house in Orange County?
10. How many dwellings are allowed on one piece of property?
11. Do I need a permit for a shed or storage building?
12. Where are manufactured homes allowed?